Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, June 21, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 82. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 64. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
High temperatures are expected to remain fairly level in the upper 70s to low 80s until the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1667 The Peace of Breda ends the Second Anglo-Dutch War as the Dutch cede New Amsterdam to the English.
- 1834 C. H. McCormick patents the first practical reaper.
- 1859 Birth of Henry Ossawa Tanner, African-American painter.
- 1862 Union and Confederate forces skirmish at the Chickahominy Creek.
- 1863 In the second day of fighting, Confederate troops fail to dislodge a Union force at the Battle of LaFourche Crossing.
- 1900 General Douglas MacArthur offers amnesty to Filipinos rebelling against American rule.
- 1927 Birth of Carl Stokes, the first black mayor of Cleveland, Ohio.
- 1939 Baseball legend Lou Gehrig is forced to quit baseball because of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis–a disease which wastes muscles.
- 1945 Japanese forces on Okinawa surrender to American troops.
- 1948 Dr. Peter Goldmark demonstrates his “long-playing” record.
- 1958 A federal judge allows Little Rock, Arkansas to delay school integration.
- 1964 Three civil rights workers disappear in Meridian, Mississippi.
- 1982 John Hinckley Jr. is found not guilty by reason of insanity for attempting to assassinate President Ronald Reagan.
- 1995 The U.S. Senate votes against the nomination of Dr. Henry W. Foster for Surgeon General.