Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, June 22, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Light west wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
High temperatures are expected to remain fairly level in the upper 70s to low 80s until the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1807 British seamen board the USS Chesapeake, a provocation leading to the War of 1812.
- 1864 Confederate General A. P. Hill turns back a Federal flanking movement at the Weldon Railroad near Petersburg, Virginia.
- 1876 General Alfred Terry sends Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer to the Rosebud and Little Bighorn rivers to search for Indian villages.
- 1906 Birth of Billy Wilder, film director (Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment).
- 1906 Birth of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, author, wife of Charles Lindbergh (Gifts from the Sea).
- 1930 A son is born to Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh.
- 1938 Joe Louis floors Max Schmeling in the first round of the heavyweight bout at Yankee Stadium.
- 1941 Under the code-name Barbarossa, Germany invades the Soviet Union.
- 1942 A Japanese submarine shells Fort Stevens at the mouth of the Columbia River.
- 1944 President Franklin Roosevelt signs the “GI Bill of Rights” to provide broad benefits for veterans of the war.
- 1970 President Richard Nixon signs the 26th amendment, lowering the voting age to 18.
- 1973 Skylab astronauts splash down safely in the Pacific after a record 28 days in space.