Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, June 23, 2021:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 79. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 62. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to remain fairly level in the upper 70s to low 80s until the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1683 William Penn signs a friendship treaty with the Lenni Lenape Indians in Pennsylvania.
- 1863 Confederate forces overwhelm a Union garrison at the Battle of Brashear City in Louisiana.
- 1865 Confederate General Stand Watie surrenders his army at Fort Towson, in the Oklahoma Territory.
- 1876 Birth of Irvin S. Cobb, U.S. writer, actor, and editor.
- 1885 Former general and president Ulysses S. Grant dies at the age of 63.
- 1944 In one of the largest air strikes of the war, the U.S. Fifteenth Air Force sends 761 bombers against the oil refineries at Ploiesti, Romania.
- 1951 Soviet U.N. delegate Jacob Malik proposes cease-fire discussions in the Korean War.
- 1952 The U.S. Air Force bombs power plants on the Yalu River, Korea.
- 1964 Henry Cabot Lodge resigns as the U.S. envoy to Vietnam and is succeeded by Maxwell Taylor.
- 1966 Civil Rights marchers in Mississippi are dispersed by tear gas.