Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, June 28, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Light southwest wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are expected to stabilize in the low 80s for the rest of the week, with a chance of thunderstorms midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 Colonists repulse a British sea attack on Charleston, South Carolina.
- 1778 Mary “Molly Pitcher” Hays McCauley, wife of an American artilleryman, carries water to the soldiers during the Battle of Monmouth.
- 1862 Fighting continues between Union and Confederate forces during the Seven Days’ campaign.
- 1863 General George Meade replaces General Joseph Hooker three days before the Battle of Gettysburg.
- 1874 The Freedmen’s Bank, created to assist former slaves in the United States, closes. Customers of the bank lose $3 million.
- 1884 Congress declares Labor Day a legal holiday.
- 1902 Birth of Richard Rodgers, American composer.
- 1902 Congress passes the Spooner bill, authorizing a canal to be built across the Isthmus of Panama.
- 1911 Samuel J. Battle becomes the first African-American policeman in New York City.
- 1926 Birth of Mel Brooks, comedian, actor, and director (The Producers, Blazing Saddles).
- 1938 Congress creates the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) to insure construction loans.
- 1945 General Douglas MacArthur announces the end of Japanese resistance in the Philippines.
- 1949 The last U.S. combat troops are called home from Korea, leaving only 500 advisers.
- 1950 General Douglas MacArthur arrives in South Korea as Seoul falls to the North.
- 1964 Malcolm X founds the Organization for Afro-American Unity to seek independence for blacks in the Western Hemisphere.
- 1967 14 people are shot during race riots in Buffalo, New York.
- 1970 Muhammad Ali [Cassius Clay] stands before the Supreme Court regarding his refusal of induction into the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War.
- 1971 The Supreme Court overturns the draft evasion conviction of Muhammad Ali.
- 1972 Richard Nixon announces that no new draftees will be sent to Vietnam.
- 1976 The first women enter the U.S. Air Force Academy.