Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, July 2, 2021:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Light southwest wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 64. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in the upper 70s to low 80s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 The Continental Congress resolves with the Declaration of Independence that the American colonies “are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States.”
- 1822 Denmark Vesey is executed in Charleston, South Carolina, for planning a massive slave revolt.
- 1863 The Union left flank holds at Little Round Top during the Battle of Gettysburg.
- 1881 Charles J. Guiteau fatally wounds President James A. Garfield in Washington, D.C.
- 1908 Birth of Thurgood Marshall, first African-American Supreme Court Justice.
- 1926 Congress establishes the Army Air Corps.
- 1937 American aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart disappears in the Central Pacific during an attempt to fly around the world.
- 1961 Novelist Ernest Hemingway commits suicide at his home in Ketchum, Idaho.
- 1964 President Lyndon Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act into law.
- 1967 The U.S. launches Operation Buffalo in Vietnam.
- 1980 President Jimmy Carter reinstates draft registration for males 18 years of age.