If you are looking to be part of building a stronger community and willing to make connections that will introduce JFCS to new opportunities that will help us heal the community one person, one family at a time you would be a great candidate for our Board. Community members who have a passion for the mission and goals of JFCS and have knowledge of programs, services and fundraising activities can learn more and apply on our website at jfcslongbeach.org.
JFCS is a nonsectarian agency whose mission is to empower people to make positive life changes through professional, affordable counseling and social services. We support individuals, families, and children in the greater Long Beach and West Orange County surrounding communities with counseling, case management for older adults, emergency financial assistance, food and essentials, domestic violence education and prevention, and referral to ongoing resources. Services are available to the entire community regardless of religion, race, gender identity, socioeconomic status, or immigration status.
Board Members are responsible for organizational governance. This role includes policy and fiduciary oversight, community engagement, program development and participation in planning fundraising events such as Race With A View, Friends Campaign, Adopt A Family, and other activities that support our clients.
Your commitment as a Board Member is for an initial term of one year followed by eligibility for re-election for two-consecutive terms of three years. Typically, meetings are held in the evening on the fourth Thursday of each month.
“Board membership is a rewarding way to give back to the community while making a difference in the lives of the most vulnerable in our area,” said Norma Stein, President of JFCS.
The timeline is as follows:
- Open Call for Applicants begins July 15, 2021. Deadline for submission is August 31, 2021. Applications to apply are available on the JFCS website.
- Candidates will be interviewed by the nominating committee in September 2021.
- New Board Members first term will be January 2022-December 2022.
JFCS BOARD MEMBER CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- Bring diversity of thought that is reflective of the community we serve, the donors we embrace and the communities that utilize our services.
- Must be able to work well with other Board Members, Board leadership and staff leadership and add a new dimension of skills and talents to Board Membership.