Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, July 7, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 83. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph.
Highs are expected to remain in the upper 70s to low 80s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1742 A Spanish force invading Georgia runs headlong into the colony’s British defenders. The battle decides the fate of a colony.
- 1777 American troops give up Fort Ticonderoga, on Lake Champlain, to the British.
- 1791 Benjamin Rush, Richard Allen and Absalom Jones found the Non-denominational African Church.
- 1795 Thomas Paine defends the principal of universal suffrage at the Constitutional Convention in Paris.
- 1863 Confederate General Robert E. Lee, in Hagerstown, Maryland, reports his defeat at Gettysburg to President Jefferson Davis.
- 1906 Birth of Leroy “Satchel” Page, baseball pitcher.
- 1941 Although a neutral country, the United States sends troops to occupy Iceland to keep it out of Germany’s hands.
- 1966 The U.S. Marine Corps launches Operation Hasting to drive the North Vietnamese Army back across the Demilitarized Zone in Vietnam.
- 1969 The first U.S. units to withdraw from South Vietnam leave Saigon.
- 1981 Sandra Day O’Connor becomes the first woman to serve on the Supreme Court.