Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, July 10, 2021:
Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in low 80s for the rest of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1679 The British crown claims New Hampshire as a royal colony.
- 1776 The statue of King George III is pulled down in New York City.
- 1778 In support of the American Revolution, Louis XVI declares war on England.
- 1850 Millard Fillmore is sworn in as the 13th president of the United States following the death of Zachary Taylor.
- 1875 Birth of Mary McLeod Bethune, educator, founder of Bethune-Cookman College and the National Council of Negro Women.
- 1890 Wyoming becomes the 44th state.
- 1893 Dr. Daniel Hale Williams performs the first successful open-heart surgery, without the benefit of penicillin or blood transfusion.
- 1925 The trial of Tennessee teacher John T. Scopes opens, with Clarence Darrow appearing for the defense and William Jennings Bryan for the prosecution.
- 1927 Birth of David Dinkins, first African-American mayor of New York City.
- 1942 General Carl Spaatz becomes the head of the U.S. Air Force in Europe.
- 1943 American and British forces complete their amphibious landing of Sicily.
- 1945 U.S. carrier-based aircraft begin airstrikes against Japan in preparation for invasion.
- 1951 Armistice talks between the United Nations and North Korea begin at Kaesong.
- 1962 The satellite Telstar is launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, beaming live television from Europe to the United States.
- 1965 “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” becomes the Rolling Stones’ first No. 1 single in the USA.
- 1967 Singer Bobbie Gentry records “Ode to Billie Joe,” which will become a country music classic and win 4 Grammys.
- 1985 Coca-Cola Co. announces it will resume selling “old formula Coke,” following a public outcry and falling sales of its “new Coke.”