Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, July 13, 2021:
Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then becoming sunny, with a high near 80. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 69. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in low 80s for the rest of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1585 A group of 108 English colonists, led by Sir Richard Grenville, reaches Roanoke Island, North Carolina.
- 1754 George Washington surrenders Fort Necessity to the French, leaving them in control of the Ohio Valley.
- 1787 Congress, under the Articles of Confederation, enacts the Northwest Ordinance, establishing rules for governing the Northwest Territory, for admitting new states to the Union and limiting the expansion of slavery.
- 1832 Henry Schoolcraft discovers the source of the Mississippi River in Minnesota.
- 1862 Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest defeats a Union army at Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- 1863 Opponents of the draft begin three days of rioting in New York City.
- 1866 The Great Eastern begins a two week voyage to complete a 12-year effort to lay telegraph cable across the Atlantic between Britain and the United States.
- 1886 Birth of Edward J. Flanagan, Catholic priest, founder of Boys’ Town.
- 1928 Birth of Robert N.C. Nix, Jr., first African-American chief justice of a state supreme court.
- 1939 Frank Sinatra records his first song, “From the Bottom of My Heart,” with the Harry James Band.
- 1954 In Geneva, Great Britain, the Soviet Union, the People’s Republic of China and France reach an accord on Indochina, dividing Vietnam into two countries, North and South, along the 17th parallel.