Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, July 16, 2021:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 80. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in low 80s for the rest of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1779 American troops under General Anthony Wayne capture Stony Point, N.Y.
- 1882 Mary Todd Lincoln, the widow of Abraham Lincoln, dies of a stroke.
- 1911 Birth of Ginger Rogers, actress and dancer.
- 1945 The United States detonates the first atomic bomb in a test at Alamogordo, N. M.
- 1969 Apollo 11 blasts off from Cape Kennedy, Florida, heading for a landing on the moon.
- 1999 A private plane piloted by John F. Kennedy Jr. is lost over the waters off Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.