Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, July 17, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 82. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in low 80s for the rest of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1763 Birth of John Jacob Astor, American fur trader and entrepreneur.
- 1801 The U.S. fleet arrives in Tripoli.
- 1821 Andrew Jackson becomes the governor of Florida.
- 1864 Confederate President Jefferson Davis replaces General Joseph E. Johnston with General John Bell Hood in hopes of defeating Union General William T. Sherman outside Atlanta.
- 1889 Birth of Erle Stanley Gardner, detective writer, creator of Perry Mason.
- 1898 U.S. troops under General William R. Shafter take Santiago de Cuba during the Spanish-American War.
- 1899 Birth of James Cagney, American actor (Yankee Doodle Dandy, Mister Roberts).
- 1912 Birth of Art Linkletter, radio and television personality.
- 1935 Birth of Peter Schickele, composer, creator of P.D.Q. Bach.
- 1960 American pilot Francis Gary Powers pleads guilty to spying charges in a Moscow court.
- 1966 Ho Chi Minh orders a partial mobilization of North Vietnam to defend against American airstrikes.
- 1987 Lt. Col. Oliver North and Rear Adm. John Poindexter begin testifying to Congress regarding the Iran-Contra scandal.