Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, July 20, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 84. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light south after midnight.
Highs are expected to return to the low 80s for the rest of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1591 Birth of Anne Hutchinson, religious liberal, one of the founders of Rhode Island.
- 1864 Confederate General John Bell Hood attacks Union forces under General William T. Sherman outside Atlanta.
- 1881 Sioux chief Sitting Bull surrenders to the U.S. Army.
- 1942 The U.S. Army Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) begins its first training class at Fort Des Moines, Iowa.
- 1950 The U.S. Army’s Task Force Smith is pushed back by superior North Korean forces.
- 1969 Neil Armstrong and Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin become the first men to walk on the moon.
- 1976 The Viking spacecraft lands on Mars and begins taking soil samples.