Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, July 21, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to return to the low 80s for the rest of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1667 The Peace of Breda ends the Second Anglo-Dutch War and cedes Dutch New Amsterdam to the English.
- 1861 In the first major battle of the Civil War, Confederate forces defeat the Union Army along Bull Run near Manassas Junction, Virginia. The battle becomes known as Manassas by the Confederates, while the Union calls it Bull Run.
- 1865 Wild Bill Hickok kills gunman Dave Tutt in Springfield, Missouri, in what is regarded as the first formal quick-draw duel.
- 1873 The James Gang robs a train in Adair, Iowa.
- 1896 Mary Church Terrell founds the National Association of Colored Women in Washington, D.C.
- 1899 Birth of Ernest Hemingway, American novelist and short-story writer.
- 1925 John Scopes is found guilty for teaching evolution in Dayton, Tenn., and is fined $100.
- 1944 U.S. Army and Marine forces land on Guam in the Marianas.