Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, July 22, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 84. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 70. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to return to the low 80s for the rest of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1789 Thomas Jefferson becomes the first head of the U.S. Department of Foreign Affairs.
- 1814 Five Indian tribes in Ohio make peace with the United States and declare war on Britain.
- 1849 Birth of Emma Lazarus, American poet.
- 1881 The first volume of The War of the Rebellion: A compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, is published.
- 1893 Birth of Karl Menninger, American physician, founder of the Menninger Foundation.
- 1908 Birth of Amy Vanderbilt, American journalist, etiquette authority.
- 1923 Birth of Robert Dole, U.S. Senator and presidential candidate.
- 1934 American gangster John Dillinger is shot dead by FBI officers outside a Chicago cinema.
- 1943 Palermo, Sicily surrenders to General George S. Patton’s Seventh Army.
- 1966 B-52 bombers hit the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Vietnam for the first time.