Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, August 2, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 90. Light west wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 67. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Highs are expected to gradually drop into the lower 80s over the course of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 The Continental Congress, having decided unanimously to make the Declaration of Independence, affixes the signatures of the other delegates to the document.
- 1790 The first US census begins enumerating the population.
- 1819 The first parachute jump from a balloon is made by Charles Guille in New York City.
- 1832 Troops under General Henry Atkinson massacre Sauk Indian men, women and children who are followers of Black Hawk at the Bad Axe River in Wisconsin. Black Hawk himself finally surrenders three weeks later, bringing the Black Hawk War to an end.
- 1847 William A. Leidesdorff launches the first steam boat in San Francisco Bay.
- 1862 Union General John Pope captures Orange Court House, Virginia.
- 1862 The Army Ambulance Corps is established by Maj. Gen. George McClellan.
- 1876 Wild Bill Hickok is shot while playing poker.
- 1923 Vice President Calvin Coolidge becomes president upon the death of Warren G. Harding.
- 1943 Lt. John F. Kennedy, towing an injured sailor, swims to a small island in the Solomon Islands. The night before, his boat, PT-109, had been split in half by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri.
- 1950 The U.S. First Provisional Marine Brigade arrives in Korea from the United States.
- 1964 U.S. destroyer Maddox is reportedly attacked by North Vietnamese patrol boats.
- 1965 Newsman Morley Safer films the destruction of a Vietnamese village by U.S. Marines.
- 1997 Author William S. Burroughs (Naked Lunch), considered the godfather of the “Beat Generation” in American literature, dies at age 83.