Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, August 5, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 85. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 65. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Highs are expected to gradually drop into the lower 80s at the end of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1763 Colonel Henry Bouquet decisively defeats the Indians at the Battle of Bushy Run in Pennsylvania during Pontiac’s rebellion.
- 1858 The first transatlantic cable is completed.
- 1861 Congress adopts the nation’s first income tax to finance the Civil War.
- 1864 The Union Navy captures Mobile Bay in Alabama.
- 1876 Birth of Mary Ritter Beard, American historian and writer.
- 1892 Harriet Tubman receives a pension from Congress for her work as a nurse, spy and scout during the Civil War.
- 1906 Birth of John Houston, film director of such movies as The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Maltese Falcon.
- 1914 The first electric traffic signal lights are installed in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 1930 Birth of Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon.
- 1951 The United Nations Command suspends armistice talks with the North Koreans when armed troops are spotted in neutral areas.
- 1962 Actress Marilyn Monroe dies under mysterious circumstances.
- 1964 President Lyndon Johnson begins bombing North Vietnam in retaliation for the Gulf of Tonkin incident and asks Congress to go to war against North Vietnam.
- 1974 President Richard Nixon admits he ordered a cover-up for political as well as national security reasons.
- 1981 President Ronald Reagan fires 11,500 striking air traffic controllers.
- 1992 Four police officers are indicted on civil rights charges in the beating of Rodney King.
- 1997 The mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, Ramzi Yousef, goes on trial.
- 2012 A gunman in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, opens fire in a Sikh temple, killing six before committing suicide.