Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, August 11, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 88. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the morning.
Mostly clear, with a low around 68. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain in the upper 80s for around the next week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1856 A band of rampaging settlers in California kill four Yokut Indians. The settlers had heard unproven rumors of Yokut atrocities.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln appoints Union General Henry Halleck to the position of general in chief of the Union Army.
- 1929 Babe Ruth hits his 500th major league home run against the Cleveland Indians.
- 1965 A small clash between the California Highway Patrol and two black youths sets off six days of rioting in the Watts area of Los Angeles.
- 1972 The last U.S. ground forces withdraw from Vietnam.
- 1975 US vetoes admission of North and South Vietnam to UN.
- 1984 Carl Lewis wins four Olympic gold medals, tying the record Jesse Owens set in 1936.
- 1989 Voyager 2 discovers two partial rings around Neptune.
- 1999 A tornado in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, kills one person.