Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, August 22, 2021:
Patchy drizzle before 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 64. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are forecast to spike into the 90s by midweek through the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1777 With the approach of General Benedict Arnold’s army, British Colonel Barry St. Ledger abandons Fort Stanwix and returns to Canada.
- 1920 Birth of Ray Bradbury, science fiction writer whose works include Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles.
- 1934 Birth of H. Norman Schwarzkopf, American general and commander of the coalition forces during the Persian Gulf War.
- 1952 Devil’s Island’s penal colony is permanently closed.
- 1956 Incumbent US President Dwight D. Eisenhower & Vice President Richard Nixon renominated by Republican convention in San Francisco.
- 1962 The world’s first nuclear-powered passenger-cargo ship, NS Savannah, completes its maiden voyage from Yorktown, Va., to Savannah, Ga.
- 1969 Hurricane Camille hits US Gulf Coast, killing 256 and causing $1.421 billion in damages.
- 1971 FBI arrests members of The Camden 28, an anti-war group, as the group is raiding a draft office in Camden, NJ.
- 1975 US President Gerald Ford survives second assassination attempt in 17 days, this one by Sarah Jane Moore in San Francisco, Cal.
- 1995 During 11-day siege at at Ruby Ridge, Id., FBI HRT sniper Lon Horiuchi kills Vicki Weaver while shooting at another target.
- 2003 Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore is suspended for refusing to comply with federal court order to remove the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Supreme Court building’s lobby.
- 2007 Most runs scored by any team in modern MLB history as the Texas Rangers thump the Baltimore Orioles 30-3.