Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, September 3, 2021:
Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 85. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 65. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Highs are expected to rise into the upper 80s over the weekend, followed by a moderation to the mid-80s in the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1777 The American flag (stars & stripes), approved by Congress on June 14th, is carried into battle for the first time by a force under General William Maxwell.
- 1783 The Treaty of Paris is signed by Great Britain and the new United States, formally bringing the American Revolution to an end.
- 1838 Frederick Douglass escapes slavery disguised as a sailor. He would later write The Narrative Life of Frederick Douglass, his memoirs about slave life.
- 1855 General William Harney defeats Little Thunder’s Brule Sioux at the Battle of Blue Water in Nebraska.
- 1856 Birth of Louis H. Sullivan, architect who gained fame for his design of the Chicago Auditorium Theater.
- 1895 The first professional American football game is played in Latrobe, Pennsylvania between the Latrobe Young Men’s Christian Association and the Jeannette Athletic Club. Latrobe wins 12-0.
- 1939 The British passenger ship Athenia is sunk by a German submarine in the Atlantic, with 30 Americans among those killed. American Secretary of State Cordell Hull warns Americans to avoid travel to Europe unless absolutely necessary.
- 1944 The U.S. Seventh Army captures Lyons, France.
- 1945 General Tomoyuki Yamashita, the Japanese commander of the Philippines, surrenders to Lieutenant General Jonathan Wainwright at Baguio.
- 1976 The unmanned US spacecraft Viking 2 lands on Mars, takes first close-up, color photos of the planet’s surface.
- 1989 US begins shipping military aircraft and weapons to Columbia for use against that country’s drug lords.