Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, September 4, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 89. Light and variable wind becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 67. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are expected to remain in the upper 80s over the weekend, followed by a moderation to the mid-80s in the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1804 USS Intrepid explodes while entering Tripoli harbor on a mission to destroy the enemy fleet there during the First Barbary War.
- 1820 Czar Alexander declares that Russian influence in North America extends as far south as Oregon and closes Alaskan waters to foreigners.
- 1862 Robert E. Lee’s Confederate army invades Maryland, starting the Antietam Campaign.
- 1881 The Edison electric lighting system goes into operation as a generator serving 85 paying customers is switched on.
- 1886 Elusive Apache leader Geronimo surrenders to General Nelson A. Miles at Skeleton Canyon, Ariz.
- 1915 The U.S. military places Haiti under martial law to quell a rebellion in its capital Port-au-Prince.
- 1941 German submarine U-652 fires at the U.S. destroyer Greer off Iceland, beginning an undeclared shooting war.
- 1945 The American flag is raised on Wake Island after surrender ceremonies there.
- 1951 The first transcontinental television broadcast in America is carried by 94 stations.
- 1957 Arkansas governor Orval Faubus calls out the National Guard to bar African-American students from entering a Little Rock high school.
- 1967 Operation Swift begins as US Marines engage North Vietnamese Army troops in Que Son Valley.
- 1972 Mark Spitz becomes first Olympic competitor to win 7 medals during a single Olympics Games.
- 1998 Google founded by Stanford University students Larry Page and Sergey Brin.