Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, September 7, 2021:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 83. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Highs temperatures are forecast to spike into the low 90s at the end of the week before dropping back into the low 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1630 The town of Trimountaine in Massachusetts is renamed Boston. It became the state capital.
- 1778 Shawnee Indians attack and lay siege to Boonesborough, Kentucky.
- 1813 The earliest known printed reference to the United States by the nickname “Uncle Sam” occurs in the Troy Post.
- 1864 Union General Phil Sheridan’s troops skirmish with the Confederates under Jubal Early outside Winchester, Virginia.
- 1876 The James-Younger gang botches an attempt to rob the First National Bank of Northfield, Minnesota.
- 1888 An incubator is used for the first time on a premature infant.
- 1892 The first heavyweight-title boxing match fought with gloves under Marquis of Queensbury rules ends when James J. Corbett knocks out John L. Sullivan in the 21st round.
- 1916 The U.S. Congress passes the Workman’s Compensation Act.
- 1936 Birth of Buddy Holly, singer, songwriter, rock ‘n roll pioneer.
- 1954 Integration of public schools begins in Washington D.C. and Maryland.
- 1965 Pro Football Hall of Fame opens in Canton, Ohio.
- 1970 Jockey Bill Shoemaker earns 6,033rd win, breaking Johnny Longden’s record for most lifetime wins; Shoemaker’s record would stand for 29 years.
- 1977 Panama and US sign Torrijos-Carter Treaties to transfer control of the Panama Canal from the US to Panama at the end of the 20th century.
- 1979 ESPN, the Entertainment and Sports Programing Network, debuts.
- 2008 US Government assumes conservatorship of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the country’s two largest mortgage financing companies, during the subprime mortgage crisis.