Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, September 8, 2021:
Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 86. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs temperatures are forecast to spike into the low 90s before gradually dropping back into the low 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1565 Spanish explorers found St. Augustine, Florida, the first permanent European settlement in what is now the United States.
- 1628 John Endecott arrives with colonists at Salem, Massachusetts, where he will become the governor.
- 1644 The Dutch colony of New Amsterdam surrenders to the British fleet that sails into its harbor. Five years later, the British change the name to New York.
- 1863 Confederate Lieutenant Dick Dowling thwarts a Union naval landing at Sabine Pass, northeast of Galveston, Texas.
- 1889 Birth of Robert A. Taft, U.S. Senator from Ohio who unsuccessfully sought the presidential nomination from the 1940s until 1952.
- 1900 Birth of Claude Pepper, Democratic senator and congressman from Florida, champion of senior citizens rights.
- 1921 Margaret Gorman of Washington, D.C., is named the first Miss America.
- 1935 Senator Huey Long of Louisiana is shot to death in the state capitol, allegedly by Dr. Carl Austin Weiss, Jr.
- 1951 Japanese representatives sign a peace treaty in San Francisco.
- 1955 The United States, Australia, France, Great Britain, New Zealand, the Philippines, Pakistan, and Thailand sign the mutual defense treaty that established the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO).
- 1960 President Dwight Eisenhower dedicates NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.
- 1971 The Kennedy Center opens in Washington, DC with a performance of Leonard Bernstein’s Mass.
- 1974 President Gerald Ford pardons former President Richard M. Nixon for any crimes arising from the Watergate scandal he may have committed while in office.
- 1988 Wildfires in Yellowstone National Park in the US, the world’s first national park, force evacuation of the historic Old Faithful Inn; visitors and employees evacuate but the inn is saved.
- 1994 USAir Flight 427 crashes on approach to Pittsburgh International Airport, killing all 132 people aboard; subsequent investigation leads to changes in manufacturing practices and pilot training.