Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, September 9, 2021:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 89. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs temperatures are forecast to remain in the low 90s for several days before gradually dropping back into the low 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 The term “United States” is adopted by the Continental Congress to be used instead of the “United Colonies.”
- 1786 George Washington calls for the abolition of slavery.
- 1850 California, in the midst of a gold rush, enters the Union as the 31st state.
- 1863 The Union Army of the Cumberland passes through Chattanooga as they chase after the retreating Confederates. The Union troops will soon be repulsed at the Battle of Chickamauga.
- 1887 Birth of Alfred M. Landon, Republican governor of Kansas who carried only two states in his overwhelming defeat for the presidency by Franklin Roosevelt in 1936.
- 1890 Birth of Colonel Harland Sanders, originator of Kentucky Fried Chicken fast-food restaurants.
- 1926 The Radio Corporation of America creates the National Broadcasting Co.
- 1942 A Japanese float plane, launched from a submarine, makes its first bombing run on a U.S. forest near Brookings, Oregon.
- 1956 Elvis Presley makes his first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show; cameras focus on his upper torso and legs to avoid showing his pelvis gyrations, which many Americans—including Ed Sullivan—thought unfit for a family show.
- 1965 US Department of Housing and Urban Development established.
- 1965 Hurricane Betsy, the first hurricane to exceed $1 billion in damages (unadjusted), makes its second landfall, near New Orleans.
- 1970 U.S. Marines launch Operation Dubois Square, a 10-day search for North Vietnamese troops near Da Nang.
- 1971 Attica Prison Riot; the 4-day riot leaves 39 dead.