Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, September 10, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 92. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs temperatures are forecast to remain in the low 90s for several days before gradually dropping back into the lower 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1623 Lumber and furs are the first cargo to leave New Plymouth in North America for England.
- 1813 The nine-ship American flotilla under Oliver Hazard Perry wrests naval supremacy from the British on Lake Erie by capturing or destroying a force of six English vessels.
- 1846 Elias Howe patents the first practical sewing machine in the United States.
- 1847 Birth of John Roy Lynch, first African American to deliver the keynote address at a Republican National Convention.
- 1861 Confederates at Carnifex Ferry, Virginia, fall back after being attacked by Union troops. The action is instrumental in helping preserve western Virginia for the Union.
- 1929 Birth of Arnold Palmer, golfer who won four Masters, two British Opens and one U.S. Open.
- 1963 President John F. Kennedy federalizes Alabama’s National Guard to prevent Governor George C. Wallace from using guardsmen to stop public-school desegregation.