Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, September 12, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 91. Light southwest wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 65. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Highs temperatures are forecast to gradually drop back into the lower 80s by Tuesday and remain mild the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1609 Henry Hudson sails into what is now New York Harbor aboard his sloop Half Moon.
- 1662 Governor Berkley of Virginia is denied his attempts to repeal the Navigation Acts.
- 1880 Birth of Henry L. Mencken, journalist and iconoclast known as the “Sage of Baltimore.”
- 1892 Birth of Alfred A. Knopf, American publisher.
- 1910 Birth of Alexander D. Langmuir, epidemiologist, created and led the U.S. Epidemic Intelligence Service.
- 1913 Birth of Jesse Owens, track and field athlete who won four medals at the Berlin Olympics in 1936.
- 1944 American troops fight their way into Germany.
- 1969 President Richard Nixon orders a resumption in bombing North Vietnam.
- 1992 Space Shuttle Endeavor takes off on NASA’s 50th shuttle mission; its crew includes the first African-American woman in space, the first married couple, and the first Japanese citizen to fly in a US spacecraft.
- 2011 In New York City, the 9/11 Memorial Museum opens to the public.