Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, September 14, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 82. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 62. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs temperatures are expected to remain mild in the upper 70s to low 80s the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1814 Francis Scott Key writes the words to the “Star Spangled Banner” as he waits aboard a British launch in the Chesapeake Bay for the outcome of the British assault on Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.
- 1847 U.S. forces under Gen. Winfield Scott capture Mexico City, virtually bringing the two-year Mexican War to a close.
- 1860 Birth of Hamlin Garland, author who wrote about the Midwest in novels such as A Son of the Middle Border and The Book of the American Indian.
- 1862 At the battles of South Mountain and Crampton’s Gap, Maryland Union troops smash into the Confederates as they close in on what will become the Antietam battleground.
- 1879 Birth of Margaret Sanger, birth-control advocate and founder of Planned Parenthood.
- 1901 Vice President Theodore Roosevelt is sworn in as the 26th President of the United States upon the death of William McKinley, who was shot eight days earlier.
- 1921 Birth of Constance Baker Motley, first African-American woman to be appointed a federal judge.
- 1936 Birth of Ferid Murad, Albanian-American physician and pharmacologist, is co-winner of Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his research on nitroglycerin’s effects the cardiovascular system.
- 1966 Operation Attleboro, designed as a training exercise for American troops, becomes a month-long struggle against the Viet Cong.
- 1975 Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton becomes the first native-born American saint in the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1984 Joe Kittinger, a former USAF fighter pilot during the Vietnam War, becomes the first person to pilot a gas balloon solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1994 Major League Baseball players strike over a salary cap and other proposed changes, forcing the cancellation of the entire postseason and the World Series.