Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, September 16, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 78. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 61. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs temperatures are expected to remain mild in the upper 70s to low 80s the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1620 The Pilgrims sail from England on the Mayflower.
- 1864 Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest leads 4,500 men out of Verona, Miss. to harass Union outposts in northern Alabama and Tennessee.
- 1875 Birth of James Cash Penney, founder and owner of the J.C. Penny Company department stores.
- 1889 Robert Younger, in Minnesota’s Stillwater Penitentiary for life, dies of tuberculosis. Brothers Cole and Bob remain in the prison.
- 1893 Some 50,000 “Sooners” claim land in the Cherokee Strip during the first day of the Oklahoma land rush.
- 1908 General Motors files papers of incorporation.
- 1920 Thirty people are killed in a terrorist bombing in New York’s Wall Street financial district.
- 1925 Birth of Charlie Byrd, jazz guitarist.
- 1925 Birth of B.B. King, blues guitarist.
- 1927 Birth of Peter Falk, actor, best known for his role as detective Columbo in the TV series of the same name.
- 1940 Congress passes the Selective Service Act, which calls for the first peacetime draft in U.S. history.
- 1942 The Japanese base at Kiska in the Aleutian Islands is raided by American bombers.
- 1950 The U.S. 8th Army breaks out of the Pusan Perimeter in South Korea and begins heading north to meet MacArthur’s troops heading south from Inchon.
- 1974 Limited amnesty is offered to Vietnam-era draft resisters who would now swear allegiance to the United States and perform two years of public service.
- 1975 Administrators for Rhodes Scholarships announce the decision to begin offering fellowships to women.
- 1991 The trial of Manuel Noriega, deposed dictator of Panama, begins in the United States.
- 2007 Military contractors in the employ of Blackwater Worldwide allegedly kill 17 Iraqis in Baghdad’s Nisour Square, further straining relations between the US and the people of Iraq.