Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, September 17, 2021:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 76. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 64. West wind around 5 mph.
Highs temperatures are expected to remain mild in the upper 70s to low 80s the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1787 The Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia approves the constitution for the United States of America.
- 1796 President George Washington delivers his “Farewell Address” to Congress before concluding his second term in office.
- 1862 The Battle of Antietam in Maryland, the bloodiest day in U.S. history, commences. Fighting in the corn field, Bloody Lane and Burnside’s Bridge rages all day as the Union and Confederate armies suffer a combined 26,293 casualties.
- 1868 The Battle of Beecher’s Island begins, in which Major George “Sandy” Forsyth and 50 volunteers hold off 500 Sioux and Cheyenne in eastern Colorado.
- 1879 Birth of Andrew “Rube” Foster, father of the Negro baseball leagues.
- 1902 U.S. troops are sent to Panama to keep train lines open over the isthmus as Panamanian nationals struggle for independence from Colombia.
- 1907 Birth of Warren E. Burger, chief justice of the Supreme Court.
- 1923 Birth of Hank Williams, Sr., influential Country singer, songwriter and guitarist (“Lonesome Blues,” “Your Cheatin’ Heart”.)
- 1947 James Forestall is sworn in as first the U.S. Secretary of Defense.
- 1959 The X-15 rocket plane makes its first flight.
- 1962 The first federal suit to end public school segregation is filed by the U.S. Justice Department.
- 1976 The Space Shuttle is unveiled to the public.
- 1983 Vanessa Williams becomes the first black Miss America; relinquished crown early after scandal over nude photos.
- 2001 The New York Stock Exchange reopens for the first time since the September 11 terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers; longest period of closure since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
- 2006 Alaska’s Fourpeaked Mountain erupts for the first time in at least 10,000 years.
- 2011 Occupy Wall Street movement calling for greater social and economic equality begins in New York City’s Zuccotti Park, coining the phrase “We are the 99%.”