Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, September 18, 2021:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 77. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 61. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Highs temperatures are expected to remain mild in the upper 70s to low 80s, peaking in the mid-upper 80s in the middle of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1758 James Abercromby is replaced as supreme commander of British forces after his defeat by French commander the Marquis of Montcalm at Fort Ticonderoga during the French and Indian War.
- 1793 George Washington lays the foundation stone for the U.S. Capitol.
- 1830 Tom Thumb, the first locomotive built in the United States, loses a nine-mile race in Maryland to a horse.
- 1850 Congress passes the second Fugitive Slave Bill into law (the first was enacted in 1793), requiring the return of escaped slaves to their owners.
- 1862 After waiting all day for a Union attack which never came at Antietam, Confederate General Robert E. Lee begins a retreat out of Maryland and back to Virginia.
- 1863 Union cavalry troops clash with a group of Confederates at Chickamauga Creek.
- 1874 The Nebraska Relief and Aid Society is formed to help farmers whose crops were destroyed by grasshoppers swarming throughout the American West.
- 1929 Charles Lindbergh takes off on a 10,000 mile air tour of South America.
- 1948 Margaret Chase Smith becomes the first woman elected to the Senate without completing another senator’s term when she defeats Democratic opponent Adrian Scolten. Smith is also the only woman to be elected to and serve in both houses of Congress.
- 1964 U.S. destroyers fire on hostile targets in Vietnam.
- 1975 Patty Hearst, granddaughter of newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst, is kidnapped by violent radical group SLA (Symbionese Liberation Army); she will later take part in some of the group’s militant activities and will be captured by FBI agents.
- 1977 Voyager I takes first photo of Earth and the Moon together.
- 1998 ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is formed to coordinate unique identifying addresses for Websites worldwide.
- 2009 The US television soap opera The Guiding Light broadcasts its final episode, ending a 72-year run that began on radio.