Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, September 20, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 82. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southeast in the evening.
Highs temperatures are expected to peak in the upper 80s in the middle of next week before gradually dropping again.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1565 Pedro Menendez of Spain wipes out the French at Fort Caroline, in Florida.
- 1784 Packet and Daily, the first daily publication in America, appears on the streets.
- 1806 Explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark pass the French village of La Charette, the first white settlement they have seen in more than two years.
- 1830 The National Negro Convention convenes in Philadelphia with the purpose of abolishing slavery.
- 1850 The slave trade is abolished in the District of Columbia.
- 1863 Union troops under George Thomas prevent the Union defeat at Chickamauga from becoming a rout, earning him the nickname “the Rock of Chickamauga.”
- 1878 Birth of Upton Sinclair, author best known today for The Jungle.
- 1884 Birth of Maxwell Perkins, editor, the first to publish F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway and Thomas Wolfe.
- 1885 Birth of Ferdinand La Menthe (Jelly Roll Morton), jazz pianist, composer and singer, one of the first to orchestrate jazz music.
- 1917 Birth of Arnold “Red” Auerbach, second most wins basketball coach in history with 1,037 victories for the Boston Celtics.
- 1934 Bruno Hauptmann arrested for the kidnapping and murder of the Lindbergh baby.
- 1952 Scientists confirm that DNA holds hereditary data.
- 1971 Hurricane Irene becomes the first hurricane known to cross from the Atlantic to Pacific, where it is renamed Hurricane Olivia.
- 1973 In a pro tennis bout dubbed “The Battle of the Sexes,” Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs at the Houston Astrodome in Texas.
- 1984 Suicide car bomber attacks US embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, killing 22.
- 2001 US Pres. George W. Bush, addressing a joint session of Congress, declares a “war on terror.”
- 2011 US military ends its “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy and allows gay men and women to serve openly.