Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, September 25, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 79. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Cloudy, with a low around 63. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain mild until the end of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 British troops capture Ethan Allen, the hero of Ticonderoga, when he and a handful of Americans try to invade Canada.
- 1789 Congress proposes 12 new amendments to the Constitution.
- 1804 The 12th Amendment is ratified, changing the procedure of choosing the president and vice-president.
- 1846 American General Zachary Taylor’s forces capture Monterey, Mexico.
- 1847 Birth of Vinnie Ream, who sculpted President Abraham Lincoln from life shortly before he was assassinated.
- 1897 Birth of William Faulkner, Nobel Prize-winning writer (The Sound and the Fury, Absalom, Absalom!).
- 1909 The first National Aeronautic Show opens at Madison Square Garden.
- 1931 Birth of Barbara Walters, television news personality and interviewer.
- 1938 President Franklin Roosevelt urges negotiations between Hitler and Czech President Edvard Benes over the Sudetenland.
- 1942 The War Labor Board orders equal pay for women in the United States.
- 1959 President Dwight Eisenhower and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev begin Camp David talks.
- 1974 Scientists warn that continued use of aerosol sprays will cause ozone depletion, which will lead to an increased risk of skin cancer and global weather changes.
- 1981 Sandra Day O’Connor, the first female Supreme Court Justice, is sworn in.
- 1992 NASA launches Mars Observer probe; it fails 11 months later.
- 2009 US President Barack Obama, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, and French President Nicolas Sarkozy jointly accuse Iran of building a secrecy nuclear enrichment facility.