Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, September 26, 2021:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 76. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 61. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain mild until mid-week, rising sharply into the 80s on Thursday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1777 The British army launches a major offensive, capturing Philadelphia.
- 1783 Birth of Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman), American pioneer.
- 1820 The legendary frontiersman Daniel Boone dies quietly at the Defiance, Mo., home of his son Nathan, at age 85.
- 1864 General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his men assault a Federal garrison near Pulaski, Tennessee.
- 1898 Birth of George Gershwin, composer who wrote many popular songs for musicals, along with his brother Ira.
- 1901 Leon Czolgosz, who murdered President William McKinley, is sentenced to death.
- 1914 The Federal Trade Commission is established to foster competition by preventing monopolies in business.
- 1937 Bessie Smith, known as the ‘Empress of the Blues,’ dies in a car crash in Mississippi.
- 1941 The U.S. Army establishes the Military Police Corps.
- 1950 General Douglas MacArthur’s American X Corps, fresh from the Inchon landing, links up with the U.S. Eighth Army after its breakout from the Pusan Perimeter.
- 1955 The New York Stock Exchange suffers a $44 million loss.
- 1960 Vice President Richard Nixon and Senator John F. Kennedy participate in the first nationally televised debate between presidential candidates.
- 1961 Nineteen-year-old Bob Dylan makes his New York singing debut at Gerde’s Folk City.
- 1967 Hanoi rejects a U.S. peace proposal.
- 1972 Richard M. Nixon meets with Emperor Hirohito in Anchorage, Alaska, the first-ever meeting of a U.S. President and a Japanese Monarch.