Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, September 27, 2021:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 73. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 60. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Highs are forecast to remain mild until mid-week, rising sharply into the 80s on Thursday and remaining in the mid to upper 80s until next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1722 Birth of Samuel Adams, American revolutionary patriot and statesman, helped to organize the Boston Tea Party.
- 1840 Birth of Thomas Nast, caricaturist, creator of the Democratic donkey and the Republican elephant.
- 1864 Confederate guerrilla Bloody Bill Anderson and his henchmen, including a teenage Jesse James, massacre 20 unarmed Union soldiers at Centralia, Missouri. The event becomes known as the Centralia Massacre.
- 1869 Wild Bill Hickok, sheriff of Hays City, Kan., shoots down Samuel Strawhim, a drunken teamster causing trouble.
- 1918 President Woodrow Wilson opens his fourth Liberty Loan campaign to support men and machines for World War I.
- 1920 Eight Chicago White Sox players are charged with fixing the 1919 World Series.
- 1950 U.S. Army and Marine troops liberate Seoul, South Korea.
- 1956 The U.S. Air Force Bell X-2, the world’s fastest and highest-flying plane, crashes, killing the test pilot.
- 1964 The Warren Commission, investigating the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, issues its report, stating its conclusion that Lee Harvey Oswald was the sole gunman.
- 1979 US Congress approves Department of Education as the 13th agency in the US Cabinet.
- 2007 NASA launches Dawn probe to explore and study the two largest objects of the asteroid belt, Vesta and Ceres.