Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, September 28, 2021:
Patchy drizzle before 11am. Widespread haze between 11am and 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 74. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Highs are forecast to remain mild until mid-week, rising sharply into the 80s on Thursday and reaching into the 90s over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1864 Union General William Rosecrans blames his defeat at Chickamauga on two of his subordinate generals. They are later exonerated by a court of inquiry.
- 1874 Colonel Ronald Mackenzie raids a war camp of Comanche and Kiowa at the Battle of Palo Duro Canyon, Texas, slaughtering 2,000 of their horses.
- 1901 Birth of Ed Sullivan, television host.
- 1904 A woman is placed under arrest for smoking a cigarette on New York’s Fifth Avenue.
- 1909 Birth of Al Capp, cartoonist who created the “Li’l Abner” comic strip.
- 1912 W.C. Handy’s “Memphis Blues” is published.
- 1913 Race riots in Harriston, Mississippi, kill 10 people.
- 1915 Birth of Ethel Rosenberg, who, with her husband Julius, became one of the first American civilians executed for espionage.
- 1924 Three U.S. Army aircraft arrive in Seattle, Washington after completing a 22-day round-the-world flight.
- 1959 Explorer VI, the U.S. satellite, takes the first video pictures of earth.
- 1963 Roy Lichtenstein’s pop art work Whaam!, depicting in comic-book style a US jet shooting down an enemy fighter, is exhibited for the first time; it will become one of the best known examples of pop art.
- 2008 SpaceX launches the first private spacecraft, Falcon 1.