Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, September 29, 2021:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 76. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 59. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain mild until mid-week, rising sharply into the 80s on Thursday and reaching into the upper 80s over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1789 Congress votes to create a U.S. army.
- 1850 Mormon leader Brigham Young is named the first governor of the Utah Territory.
- 1864 Union troops capture the Confederate Fort Harrison, outside Petersburg, Virginia.
- 1879 Dissatisfied Ute Indians kill Agent Nathan Meeker and nine others in the “Meeker Massacre.”
- 1901 Birth of Enrico Fermi, Italian-born U.S. physicist who led the group which created the first man-made nuclear chain reaction.
- 1907 Birth of Gene Autry, actor, singer, star of radio, film and TV1932 A five-day work week is established for General Motors workers.
- 1935 Birth of Jerry Lee Lewis, singer, songwriter, musician; influential figure in early rock ‘n’ roll (“Great Balls of Fire”).
- 1960 General Douglas MacArthur officially returns Seoul, South Korea, to President Syngman Rhee.
- 1966 Chevrolet introduces the Camaro, which will become an iconic car.
- 1990 The YF-22, later named F-22 Raptor, flies for the first time.
- 2008 Dow Jones Industrial Average plummets 777.68 points in the wake of Lehman Brothers and Washington Mutual bankruptcies, the largest single-day point loss in Wall Street history.