Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, September 30, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 88. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 61. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the upper 80s to low 90s until the start of next week, followed by a gradual but steady drop over the next several days. Lows are forecast to remain in the lower 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1630 John Billington, one of the original pilgrims who sailed to the New World on the Mayflower, becomes the first man executed in the English colonies. He is hanged for having shot another man during a quarrel.
- 1846 The first anesthetized tooth extraction is performed by Dr. William Morton in Charleston, Massachusetts.
- 1861 Birth of William Wrigley, Jr., founder of the Wrigley chewing gum empire and owner of the Chicago Cubs baseball team.
- 1864 Confederate troops fail to retake Fort Harrison from the Union forces during the siege of Petersburg.
- 1924 Birth of Truman Capote, author and playwright whose works include Breakfast at Tiffany’s and In Cold Blood.
- 1927 Babe Ruth hits his 60th home run of the season off Tom Zachary in Yankee Stadium, New York City.
- 1935 George Gershwin’s opera Porgy and Bess opens at the Colonial Theatre in Boston.
- 1943 The Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps becomes the Women’s Army Corps, a regular contingent of the U.S. Army with the same status as other army service corps.
- 1949 The Berlin Airlift is officially halted after 277,264 flights.
- 1955 Actor and teen idol James Dean is killed in a car crash while driving his Porsche on his way to enter it into a race in Salinas, California.
- 1962 U.S. Marshals escort James H. Meredith into the University of Mississippi; two die in the mob violence that follows.
- 1965 President Lyndon Johnson signs legislation that establishes the National Foundation for the Arts and the Humanities.
- 1975 The AH-64 Apache attack helicopter makes its first flight.