Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, October 1, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 91. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 63. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the upper 80s to low 90s until the start of next week, followed by a gradual but steady drop over the next several days. Lows are forecast to remain in the lower 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1837 Birth of Robert Gould Shaw, commander of the 54th Massachusetts Regiment during America’s Civil War.
- 1847 Maria Mitchell, American astronomer, discovers a comet and is elected the same day to the American Academy of Arts—the first woman to be so honored. The King of Denmark awarded her a gold medal for her discovery.
- 1864 The Condor, a British blockade-runner, is grounded near Fort Fisher, North Carolina.
- 1878 General Lew Wallace is sworn in as governor of New Mexico Territory. He went on to deal with the Lincoln County War, Billy the Kid and write Ben-Hur. His Civil War heroics earned him the moniker Savior of Cincinnati.
- 1890 Yosemite National Park is dedicated in California.
- 1904 Birth of Vladimir Horowitz, Russian-born American virtuoso pianist.
- 1908 The Ford Model T, the first car for millions of Americans, hits the market. Over 15 million Model Ts are eventually sold, all of them black.
- 1924 Birth of Jimmy Carter, 39th president of the U.S. (1977-1981)
- 1944 The U.S. First Army begins the siege Aachen, Germany.
- 1947 First flight of F-86 Sabre jet fighter, which would win fame in the Korean War.
- 1957 “In God We Trust” appears on US paper currency as an act to distinguish the US from the officially atheist USSR; the motto had appeared on coins at various times since 1864.
- 1958 The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) replaces the 43-year-old National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) in the US.
- 1962 The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson debuts; Carson will remain The Tonight Show host until 1992.
- 1964 The first Free Speech Movement protest erupts spontaneously on the University of California, Berkeley campus; students demanded an end to the ban of on-campus political activities.
- 1971 Walt Disney World opens near Orlando, Florida, the second of Disney’s “Magic Kingdoms.”
- 1974 Five Nixon aides–Kenneth Parkinson, Robert Mardian, Nixon’s Chief of Staff H.R. Haldeman, John Ehrlichman, and U.S. Attorney General John Mitchell–go on trial for conspiring to hinder the Watergate investigation.
- 1975 Legendary boxing match: Muhammad Ali defeats Joe Frazier in the “Thrilla in Manila.”
- 1979 US returns sovereignty of the Panama Canal to Panama.