Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, October 2, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 91. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 65. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the upper 80s to low 90s until the start of next week, followed by a gradual but steady drop over the next several days. Lows are forecast to remain in the lower 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 An Army under Union General Joseph Hooker arrives in Bridgeport, Alabama to support the Union forces at Chattanooga. Chattanooga’s Lookout Mountain provides a dramatic setting for the Civil War’s battle above the clouds.
- 1871 Birth of Cordell Hull, Secretary of State for President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1871 Morman leader Brigham Young, 70, is arrested for polygamy. He was later convicted, but the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the conviction.
- 1890 Birth of Julius Henry ‘Groucho’ Marx, comedian, one of the five Marx brothers (the others being Chico, Harpo, Zeppo and Gummo).
- 1900 Birth of William A. ‘Bud’ Abbot, comedian, the straight man to Lou Costello.
- 1909 Orville Wright sets an altitude record, flying at 1,600 feet. This exceeded Hubert Latham’s previous record of 508 feet.
- 1950 The comic strip Peanuts, by Charles M. Schultz, makes its first appearance in newspapers.
- 1959 The groundbreaking TV series The Twilight Zone, hosted by Rod Serling, premiers on CBS.
- 1964 Scientists announce findings that smoking can cause cancer.
- 1967 Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American Supreme Court justice, is sworn in. Marshall had previously been the solicitor general, the head of the legal staff of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), and a leading American civil rights lawyer.
- 1970 A plane carrying the Wichita State University football team, staff, and supporters crashes in Colorado; 31 of the 40 people aboard die.
- 1980 Congressional Representative Mike Myers is expelled from the US House for taking a bribe in the Abscam scandal, the first member to be expelled since 1861.
- 2001 NATO backs US military strikes in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks.