Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, October 6, 2021:
Partly sunny, with a high near 75. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Highs will continue to drop, reaching the lower 70s by the end of the week, with mostly cloudy skies and a chance of precipitation Thursday through Friday. This will be followed by a brief temperature spike on Sunday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1846 Birth of George Westinghouse, prolific inventor, held over 100 patents on creations including air brakes for trains.
- 1866 The Reno brothers–Frank, John, Simeon and William–commit the country’s first train robbery near Seymore, Indiana netting $10,000.
- 1908 Birth of Carol Lombard, American comediennne and actress.
- 1917 Birth of Fannie Lou Hamer, US civil rights advocate; became vice-chair of the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party.
- 1927 The first “talkie,” The Jazz Singer, opens with popular entertainer Al Jolson singing and dancing in black-face. By 1930, silent movies were a thing of the past.
- 1965 Patricia Harris takes post as U.S. Ambassador to Belgium, becoming the first African American U.S. ambassador.
- 1966 Hanoi insists the United States must end its bombings before peace talks can begin.
- 1969 Special Forces Captain John McCarthy is released from Fort Leavenworth Penitentiary, pending consideration of his appeal to murder charges.