Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, October 8, 2021:
Rain likely before 11am, then a chance of showers after 11am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 71. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Mostly clear, with a low around 57. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain fairly mild, with a chance of precipitation on Friday followed by a brief warm-up on Saturday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1810 Birth of James Wilson Marshall, discoverer of gold in California.
- 1862 The Union is victorious at the Battle of Perryville, the largest Civil War combat to take place in Kentucky.
- 1871 The Great Chicago Fire begins in southwest Chicago, possibly in a barn owned by Patrick and Katherine O’Leary. Fanned by strong southwesterly winds, the flames raged for more than 24 hours, eventually leveling three and a half square miles and wiping out one-third of the city. Approximately 250 people were killed in the fire; 98,500 people were left homeless; 17,450 buildings were destroyed.
- 1890 Birth of Eddie Rickenbacker, U.S. fighter pilot in World War I, aviation pioneer.
- 1897 Journalist Charles Henry Dow, founder of the Wall Street Journal, begins charting trends of stocks and bonds.
- 1918 US Army corporal Alvin C. York kills 28 German soldiers and captures 132 in the Argonne Forest; promoted to sergeant and awarded US Medal of Honor and French Croix de Guerre.
- 1919 The U.S. Senate and House of Representatives pass the Volstead Prohibition Enforcement Bill.
- 1921 First live radio broadcast of a football game; Harold W. Arlin was the announcer when KDKA of Pittsburgh broadcast live from Forbes Field as the University of Pittsburgh beat West Virginia University 21–13.
- 1922 Lilian Gatlin becomes the first woman pilot to fly across the United States.
- 1956 Don Larsen of the New York Yankees pitches the first perfect game in World Series history against the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- 1968 U.S. forces in Vietnam launch Operation SEALORDS (South East Asia Lake, Ocean, River and Delta Strategy), an attack on communist supply lines and base areas in and around the Mekong Delta.
- 1969 The “Days of Rage” begin in Chicago; the Weathermen faction of the Students for a Democratic Society initiate 3 days of violent antiwar protests.
- 2001 US President George W. Bush establishes the Office of Homeland Security.