Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, October 9, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 72. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 58. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to spike briefly on Sunday before dropping back into the 70s and rising back into the 80s at the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1781 Americans begin shelling the British surrounded at Yorktown.
- 1825 The first Norwegian immigrants to America arrive on the sloop Restaurationen.
- 1863 Confederate cavalry raiders return to Chattanooga after attacking Union General William Rosecrans’ supply and communication lines all around east Tennessee.
- 1873 Birth of Charles Rudolph Walgreen, “the father of the modern drugstore.”
- 1888 The Washington Monument, designed by Robert Mills, opens to the public.
- 1899 Birth of Bruce Catton, U.S. historian and journalist, famous for his works on the Civil War.
- 1941 President Franklin D. Roosevelt requests congressional approval for arming U.S. merchant ships.
- 1946 Eugene O’Neill’s play The Iceman Cometh opens at the Martin Beck Theatre in New York.
- 1949 Harvard Law School begins admitting women.
- 1999 Last flight of the Lockheed SR-71 “Blackbird” stealth reconnaissance aircraft.