Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, October 11, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 73. Southeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 55. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the 70s for several days and rise back into the 80s at the end of the week. Lows will remain in the 50s.
Wind Advisory in effect from October 11, 01:00 PM PDT until October 12, 03:00 AM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1844 Birth of Henry Heinz, manufacturer, founder of H.J. Heinz Co.
- 1862 The Confederate Congress in Richmond passes a draft law allowing anyone owning 20 or more slaves to be exempt from military service. This law confirms many southerners opinion that they are in a ‘rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight.’
- 1877 Outlaw Wild Bill Longley, who killed at least a dozen men, is hanged, but it took two tries; on the first try, the rope slipped and his knees drug the ground.
- 1884 Birth of Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1906 San Francisco school board orders the segregation of Oriental schoolchildren, inciting Japanese outrage.
- 1910 Birth of Joseph Alsop, American journalist.
- 1918 Birth of Jerome Robbins, choreographer, won Oscar for West Side Story.
- 1928 Birth of Roscoe Robinson Jr., first African American to attain 4-star general status in the US Army.
- 1942 In the Battle of Cape Esperance, near the Solomon Islands, U.S. cruisers and destroyers decisively defeat a Japanese task force in a night surface encounter.
- 1950 The Federal Communications Commission authorizes the Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) to begin commercial color TV broadcasts.
- 1968 Apollo 7, with three men aboard, is successfully launched from Cape Kennedy.
- 1972 Race riot breaks out aboard carrier USS Kitty Hawk off Vietnam during Operation Linebacker.
- 1972 A French mission in Vietnam is destroyed by a U.S. bombing raid.
- 1975 Saturday Night Live comedy-variety show premiers on NBC, with guest host comedian George Carlin and special guests Janis Ian, Andy Kaufman and Billy Preston.
- 1984 Astronaut Kathryn D. Sullivan, part of the crew of Space Shuttle Challenger, becomes the first American woman to walk in space.
- 1991 Confirmation hearings for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas begin.
- 2000 NASA launches its 100th Space Shuttle mission.
- 2001 The Polaroid Corporation, which had provided shutterbugs with photo prints in minutes with its “instant cameras” since 1947, files for bankruptcy.