Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, October 12, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 73. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light north. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 54. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the 70s for several days and rise back into the 80s for a couple days at the end of the week. Lows will remain in the 50s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1809 Meriwether Lewis, of the Lewis and Clark expedition, dies under mysterious circumstances in Tennessee.
- 1872 Apache leader Cochise signs a peace treaty with General Howard in Arizona Territory.
- 1933 Alcatraz Island is made a federal maximum security prison.
- 1943 The U.S. Fifth Army begins an assault crossing of the Volturno River in Italy.
- 1949 Eugenie Anderson becomes the first woman U.S. ambassador.
- 1970 President Richard Nixon announces the pullout of 40,000 more American troops in Vietnam by Christmas.
- 1971 The House of Representatives passes the Equal Rights Amendment 354-23.
- 1994 NASA loses contact with the Magellan probe spacecraft in the thick atmosphere of Venus.
- 2000 Suicide bombers at Aden, Yemen, damage USS Cole; 17 crew members killed and over 35 wounded.