Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, October 13, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 76. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 55. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable.
High temperatures are expected to rise back into the mid-80s for a couple days at the end of the week before quickly dropping again. Lows will remain in the 50s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1670 Virginia passes a law that blacks arriving in the colonies as Christians cannot be used as slaves.
- 1775 The Continental Congress authorizes construction of two warships, thus instituting an American naval force.
- 1776 Benedict Arnold is defeated at Lake Champlain.
- 1792 President George Washington lays the cornerstone for the White House.
- 1812 At the Battle of Queenston Heights, a Canadian and British army defeats the American who have tried to invade Canada.
- 1849 The California state constitution, which prohibits slavery, is signed in Monterey.
- 1903 Boston defeats Pittsburgh in baseball’s first World Series.
- 1910 Birth of Art Tatum, American jazz pianist.
- 1926 Birth of Ray Brown, jazz bass player.
- 1942 In the first of four attacks, two Japanese battleships sail down the slot and shell Henderson field on Guadalcanal, in an unsuccessful effort to destroy the American Cactus Air Force.
- 1958 First appearance of Paddington Bear, now a beloved icon of children’s literature.
- 1967 First game of the fledgling American Basketball Association; Oakland Oaks beat Anaheim Amigos 134-129 in Oakland, Cal.
- 1976 Dr. F.A. Murphy at Center for Disease Control obtains the first electron micrograph of an Ebola viral particle.
- 1983 The Space Shuttle Challenger, carrying seven, the largest crew to date, lands safely at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.