Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, October 16, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 89. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 59. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to drop sharply back into the 70s, with marine layer in the first half of the week. A slight warm-up will bring highs back into the mid-upper 70s in the back half of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1701 Yale University is founded as The Collegiate School of Kilingworth, Connecticut by Congregationalists who consider Harvard too liberal.
- 1758 Birth of Noah Webster, U.S. teacher, lexicographer and publisher who wrote the American Dictionary of the English Language.
- 1846 Ether was first administered in public at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston by Dr. William Thomas Green Morton during an operation performed by Dr. John Collins Warren.
- 1859 Abolitionist John Brown, with 21 men, seizes the U.S. Armory at Harpers Ferry, Va. U.S. Marines capture the raiders, killing several. John Brown is later hanged in Virginia for treason.
- 1898 Birth of William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice.
- 1901 President Theodore Roosevelt incites controversy by inviting black leader Booker T. Washington to the White House.
- 1906 Birth of Cleanth Brooks, Kentucky-born writer and educator.
- 1908 The first airplane flight in England is made at Farnsborough, by Samuel Cody, a U.S. citizen.
- 1931 Birth of Charles “Chuck” Colson, special counsel to Pres. Richard Nixon (1969-73); one of the “Watergate Seven,” he was sentenced to prison for obstruction of justice.
- 1938 Billy the Kid, a ballet by Aaron Copland, opens in Chicago.
- 1940 Benjamin O. Davis becomes the U.S. Army’s first African American Brigadier General.
- 1969 The New York Mets win the World Series four games to one over the heavily-favored Baltimore Orioles.
- 1984 A baboon heart is transplanted into 15-day-old Baby Fae–the first transplant of the kind–at Loma Linda University Medical Center, California. Baby Fae lives until November 15.
- 1995 The Million Man March for ‘A Day of Atonement’ takes place in Washington, D.C.