Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, October 17, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 75. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy drizzle after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to remain mild for several days, with marine layer in the first half of the week. A slight warm-up will bring highs back into the upper 70s in the back half of the week before dropping again over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1691 Maine and Plymouth are incorporated in Massachusetts.
- 1777 British Maj. Gen. John Burgoyne surrenders 5,000 men at Saratoga, N.Y.
- 1821 Birth of Alexander Gardner, American photographer who documented the Civil War and the West.
- 1859 Birth of Childe Hassam, American impressionist painter and illustrator.
- 1863 General Ulysses S. Grant is named overall Union Commander of the West.
- 1877 Brigadier General Alfred Terry meets with Sitting Bull in Canada to discuss the Indians’ return to the United States.
- 1918 Birth of Rita Hayworth, film actress.
- 1933 Due to rising anti-Semitism and anti-intellectualism in Hitler’s Germany, Albert Einstein immigrates to the United States. He makes his new home in Princeton, N.J.
- 1938 Birth of Evel Knievel, U.S. daredevil motorcycle stunt man.
- 1941 The U.S. destroyer Kearney is damaged by a German U-boat torpedo off Iceland; 11 Americans are killed.
- 1989 The worst earthquake in 82 years strikes San Francisco bay area minutes before the start of a World Series game there. The earthquake registers 6.9 — 67 are killed and damage is estimated at $10 billion.