Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, October 18, 2021:
Patchy drizzle with a chance of showers before 11am. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 67. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Mostly clear, with a low around 52. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to remain mild for several days, with marine layer in the first half of the week. A slight warm-up will bring highs back into the upper 70s in the back half of the week before dropping again over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1648 The “shoemakers of Boston”–the first labor organization in what would become the United States–was authorized by the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1867 The Alaska territory is formally transferred to the U.S. from Russian control.
- 1867 The rules for American football are formulated at meeting in New York among delegates from Columbia, Rutgers, Princeton and Yale universities.
- 1939 President Franklin D. Roosevelt bans war submarines from U.S. ports and waters.
- 1939 Birth of Lee Harvey Oswald, assassin of President John F. Kennedy.
- 1944 Lt. General Joseph Stilwell is recalled from China by president Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1968 US athletes Tommi Smith and John Carlos suspended by US Olympic Committee for giving “black power” salute while receiving their medals at the Olympic Games in Mexico City.