Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, October 19, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 69. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 52. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to remain mild for several days. A slight warm-up will bring highs back into the upper 70s in the back half of the week before dropping again over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1739 England declares war on Spain over borderlines in Florida. The War is known as the War of Jenkins’ Ear because the Spanish coast guards cut off the ear of British seaman Robert Jenkins.
- 1781 Major General Lord Charles Cornwallis surrenders to George Washington and Count de Rochambeau at Yorktown, Va. Cornwallis surrenders 7,157 troops, including sick and wounded, and 840 sailors, along with 244 artillery pieces. Losses in this battle had been light on both sides. The Revolutionary War is effectively ended.
- 1848 John “The Pathfinder” Fremont moves out from near Westport, Missouri, on his fourth Western expedition–a failed attempt to open a trail across the Rocky Mountains along the 38th parallel.
- 1858 Birth of Alice Josephine McLellan Birney, child welfare worker whose ideas evolved into the PTA.
- 1864 At the Battle of Cedar Creek, Va., a narrow victory helps the Union secure the Shenandoah Valley.
- 1873 Yale, Princeton, Columbia and Rutgers universities draft the first code of football rules.
- 1895 Birth of Lewis Mumford, American writer, urban planner and social critic (The City in History).
- 1917 The first doughnut is fried by Salvation Army volunteer women for American troops in France during World War I.
- 1942 The Japanese submarine I-36 launches a floatplane for a reconnaissance flight over Pearl Harbor. The pilot and crew report on the ships in the harbor, after which the aircraft is lost at sea.
- 1960 Canada and the United States agree to undertake a joint Columbia River project to provide hydroelectric power and flood control.
- 1973 President Richard Nixon rejects an Appeals Court demand to turn over the Watergate tapes.
- 1987 In retaliation for Iranian attacks on ships in the Persian Gulf, the U.S. Navy disables three of Iran’s offshore oil platforms.