Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, October 20, 2021:
Partly sunny, with a high near 71. Light west wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to remain mild for several days. A slight warm-up will bring highs back into the mid-upper 70s in the back half of the week before dropping again over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1818 The United States and Britain establish the 49th Parallel as the boundary between Canada and the United States.
- 1884 Birth of Bela Lugosi, Hungarian-born film actor famous for his portrayal of Count Dracula (1931).
- 1903 The Joint Commission, set up on January 24 by Great Britain and the United States to arbitrate the disputed Alaskan boundary, rules in favor of the United States. The deciding vote is Britain’s, which embitters Canada. The United States gains ports on the panhandle coast of Alaska.
- 1924 Baseball’s first ‘colored World Series’ is held in Kansas City, Mo.
- 1931 Birth of Mickey Mantle, baseball great who played for the New York Yankees
- 1944 U.S. troops land on Leyte in the Philippines, keeping General MacArthur’s pledge “I shall return.”
- 1947 The House Un-American Activities Committee opens public hearings on alleged communist infiltration in Hollywood. Among those denounced as having un-American tendencies are: Katherine Hepburn, Charles Chaplin and Edward G. Robinson. Among those called to testify is Screen Actors Guild President Ronald Reagan, who denies that leftists ever controlled the Guild and refuses to label anyone a communist.
- 1973 Arab oil-producing nations ban oil exports to the United States, following the outbreak of Arab-Israeli war.
- 1977 Charter plane crashes in Mississippi, killing three members of popular Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, along with their assistant road manager, the pilot and co-pilot.
- 1991 Oakland Hills firestorm destroys nearly 3,500 homes and apartments and kills 25 people.