Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, October 25, 2021:
Rain. High near 65. Light south wind increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
A chance of rain before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Precipitation early in the week will be followed by a warm-up in the back half of the week, peaking on Thursday and gradually dropping afterwards.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1888 Birth of Richard E. Byrd, U.S. aviator and explorer who made the first flight over the North Pole.
- 1902 Birth of Henry Steele Commager, American historian who wrote the fifty-five volume Rise of the American Nation.
- 1923 The Teapot Dome scandal comes to public attention as Senator Thomas J. Walsh of Montana, subcommittee chairman, reveals the findings of the past 18 months of investigation. His case will result in the conviction of Harry F. Sinclair of Mammoth Oil, and later Secretary of the Interior Albert B. Fall, the first cabinet member in American history to go to jail. The scandal, named for the Teapot Dome oil reserves in Wyoming, involved Fall secretly leasing naval oil reserve lands to private companies.
- 1944 The Japanese are defeated in the Battle of Leyte Gulf, the world’s largest sea engagement. From this point on, the depleted Japanese Navy increasingly resorts to the suicidal attacks of Kamikaze fighters.
- 1954 President Eisenhower conducts the first televised Cabinet meeting.
- 1958 The last U.S. troops leave Beirut.
- 1960 Martin Luther King, Jr., is sentenced to four months in jail for a sit-in.
- 1962 Adlai Stevenson shows photos to the UN Security Council that prove Soviet missiles have been installed in Cuba.
- 1983 1,800 U.S. troops and 300 Caribbean troops land on Grenada. U.S. forces soon turn up evidence of a strong Cuban and Soviet presence–large stores of arms and documents suggesting close links to Cuba.